Original Tour Description
ART AND CULTURE IN ST. PETERSBURG and MOSCOW
September 20 - October 3, 2001 (13 days)
An escorted tour like no other: a congenial group of travellers with special connections in Russian museums and privileged access to the Hermitage Museum. See the sights in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Optional extension in Vienna. We fly on Austrian Airlines from Toronto, connecting flights on Air Canada.
In St. Petersburg we visit:
- The Russian Museum's art collections in the grand Mikhaylovsky Palace.
- Grand Duke Vladimir's Palace.
- Three Imperial Summer Palaces: Peter the Great's palace at Peterhof and its hundreds of gilded fountains; Catherine the Great's splendid palace in Tsarskoe Selo; and beautiful Pavlovsk Summer Palace, built for Tsar Paul I.
- The greatest palace complex of them all: the historic Winter Palace, as well as the adjoining palaces that house the Hermitage Museum. The Hermitage contains one of the world's largest and most prestigious collections of European art.
- As "Canadian Friends of the Hermitage", we will enjoy special privileges as guests of the Director of the Hermitage Museum. We tour State apartments and the spectacular collections on a day when the Museum is closed to the public As Friends of the Museum, we may visit any time free of charge and enjoy a 20% discount in museum shops.
- Other palaces, cathedrals, the Peter and Paul Fortress, a folklore performance, gourmet meals, a city tour and more round out the program! On this tour, buffet breakfasts, a reception, several lunches and dinners are included.
We stay in the Swiss-run de luxe Hotel Angleterre, within walking distance of Nevsky Prospect and all major attractions.
From St. Petersburg we travel by first-class sleeper train overnight to MOSCOW, where we spend four full days of sightseeing and visits to outstanding cultural venues:
- A panoramic tour of the vibrant capital of an empire where east meets west.
- A visit to the Kremlin and its fabulous Armoury collections of Imperial treasures.
- Guided tours of the great Pushkin Museum of European Art and the Tretyakov Gallery, the largest and finest collection of Russian art in the world.
- A special trip out of town to the historic Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius in the town of Sergiev Posad. Two cathedrals and five churches form the core of one of Russia's most important religious centres. Fabulous icons and museums await us.
- Opportunities to see ballet, opera, the Moscow circus - depending on availability.
We stay at the five-star National Hotel, located in the city centre near
the shopping area. The Kremlin, Red Square and the Bolshoy Theatre are within
a few minutes' walk from the hotel.
On the afternoon of October 2, we leave for VIENNA, where we are
overnight guests of Austrian Airlines at Hotel Ibis. We shall find something
to do that evening. If you do not wish to extend your stay in Vienna, we leave
the next morning and arrive in Toronto in the early afternoon of October 3.
Priced at $4,999 (CAN) per person, two persons per room. Single
supplement: $1,280 (CAN). A deposit of $700 accompanies your registration;
balance of tour price is due by July 15.
For information on this and future tours,
please contact our office in Ottawa, tel. (613) 236-1116.
Tour Photos & Stories
The visit to the Hermitage appeared as a news item
on the Hermitage Museum's web site.
There's also a nice description of
the trip from Tamara Galko in the newsletter (aussi en Français).
Here are a few photos taken on the tour, courtesy of Jean Southworth.
Click on them to view the image at a larger size.